The selection of the 72nd Berlin International Film Festival has been revealed. 18 fiction films are in the running for the Golden Bear and Silver Bear award.
The 72nd Berlin International Film Festival will take place in person from February 10-20 in limited scale, after the 2021 release fully online. The award ceremony will take place on February 16 and the last four days will be devoted to public performances.
18 films from 15 different countries were selected in the competition. Among them: With Love and Design Claire Dennis led by Juliette Binoche and Vincent Lyndon, Passengers of the Night by Michael Herz with Charlotte Gainsburg, Keo Rayon Richter and Noe Abita, abortion drama Cole Jean by Phyllis Nagy with Elizabeth Banks, Sigourney Weaver, Kate Mara and Rimini by Ulrich Seidl OR The Novelist’s Film, Hong Sangsoo’s latest feature film.
Peter von Kant, adapted by François Ozon for the 1972 film directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant directed by Denis Menochet, Isabelle Adjani and Hana Shigulla will be shown on February 10 at the opening and in competition.
Of the 18 feature films, 7 have been directed by women, 8 filmmakers have already been selected in competition at the festival, and 5 of them have already won the Bear Award (François Ozon, Hong Sangsu, Ursula Mayer, Paolo Taviani and Reethi Banh).
Several films will also be presented in the preview: the stunning but real Quentin Dubeux with Alain Chabat and Lea Drucker, the Dark glasses by Dario Argento worn by his daughter Asia Argento, the outfit by Graham Moore with Mark Rylance, Zoe Deutch and Dylan O’Brien or about Joan by Laurent Larvier led by Isabel Hubert. The latter will also receive an honorary Golden Bear award throughout her career.
Films in competition
- AEIOU – Fast Alphabet for Love) de Nicolette Krebitz
- The Karas by Carla Simon
- With love and determination Claire Dennis
- Rimini de Ulrich Seidl
- Summoning Jane De Felice the Great
- A Piece of Heaven by Michael Koch
- Everything will be fine Di Rethy Banh
- Ursula Mayer line
- Leonora Farewell Di Paolo Taviani
- Night Passengers – Michael Herz
- Nana (before, now and then) by Camila Andini
- Peter von Kant by François Ozon
- Spring Kurnaz vs. George W. Bush and Andreas Driessen
- Jewel robe by Natalia Lopez Gallardo
- Novelist Dae Hong Sangsu
- One Year, One Night composed by Isaki Lakista
- A Summer Like This by Dennis Cote
- Return to Dust de Li Ruijun
Berlinale Special Films
- Against the Ice by Peter Flint
- About Joan de Laurent LaRiver
- Gangbai Kathyawadi Di Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- Good luck to you, Leo Grande de Sophie Hyde
- Unbelievable but true by Quentin Dubeaux
- Counterfeit Maggie pear
- Dario Argento dark glasses
- Die Graham Moore’s outfit